Thursday, November 13, 2008

A new respect for Elton John...

I love music. I enjoy all sorts of genres of music and one guy I've always enjoyed is Elton John. The dude is a stud on the piano and vocals. I read an article today, which I will post, that made me respect him even more. With the recent passage of Prop 8 in my home state of California, the gay rights activists have been protesting out in front of temples, Book of Mormons have been burned and just recently an envelope of white powder have been mailed to the Salt Lake Temple. All of this may or may not be connected but I still think it is horrible tactics for a group to protest tolerance and equality at places of sacred worship, church or Temple. Shouting and rallying while members of the church are attending meetings is a great example of tolerance.
I even saw on a friends blog that someone they didn't even know, wrote some unwanting comments and accusing them of being "insecure in their marriages." I still don't understand what "rights" gays are lacking in California. The facts are this, the votes are in... It passed. I am all for freedom of speech but lets be honest, singling out one organization that had its members support the proposition is just silly. I'm grateful Prop 8 passed and can go on and on but here is the article. Elton John gets it, why can't the protesting gay community?

NEW YORK — Elton John, accompanied by his longtime partner, David Furnish, had some choice words about California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage that passed on Nov. 4.

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

John and Furnish, and their two cocker spaniels, Marilyn and Arthur, were in town for Tuesday's annual benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," John says. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off.

"You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

1 comment:

Ryan and Laura said...

Hey Brittany! I chatted with Clay a little this morning. He said your little guy might come early. I am excited for you guys. You two will be great parents. Good luck with the next couple days. I hope everything goes quick and easy for you!